My High Standands / Caliber of Students

I am not accepting any more archery students for 2014. If you want to sign up for lessons in 2015 let me know by emailing craigmurphytoronto@gmail.com.

Basically I am full up lessons wise.

But I also want to talk about something that came up recently when I was contacted by a local Toronto company asking to do "profit sharing" by bringing me more students.

Basically what they were offering to do was to bring me hundreds of more students in a year, each student likely showing up for only 1 or 2 lessons - in other words people who are not serious about learning archery, compound shooting or crossbow shooting and they "just want to try it before they buy it".

Well, I must tell you I have zero interest in teaching beginners who "just want to try archery".

I only teach people who are serious about learning archery and want 10 or more lessons.

I also have high standards for the caliber of students I accept into my tutelage. It is not for every loser out there who is looking to be an archery dilettante (the type of people who try archery and then start calling themselves "an archer" because they did it once or twice). No, I am looking for students who want to make archery part of their lifestyle. The type of person who does archery several times per week, is serious about it and makes a serious effort, listens and follows instructions.

I told the company in question that I have zero interest in profit sharing because the standards I impose are such that I only accept about 10% of applicants (thereabouts - I think it might be closer to 8%, but it is a rough estimate).

Here is a run down.

I do not teach children.
I do not teach the weak or infirm.
I do not teach wussies.
I do not teach archery dilettantes.

I do however teach both men and women.
I do teach people who are physically up for the challenge.
And I do teach people who are thinking about getting into bowhunting - although it is not a strict requirement.

Yes, I could accept other students for 2014. But I have no interest in doing so right now. And I certainly have no interest in teaching archery dilettantes. Not just because they are not up to my standards or get on my nerves, but also because I am not the right fit for such people.

Think of me like a stern drill sergeant in army basic training. I am your worst nightmare. I DEMAND excellence and I do not accept people who are going to wussy out on me.

Don't like it? Deal with it or go somewhere else.

Regards,
Craig Murphy


No comments:

Post a Comment